About Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice
To raise awareness and provide financial support for end of life care
programs through collaboration with our Rogue Valley community.
All residents of the Rogue Valley are knowledgeable about end of life
Our Story -
Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice
& Hospice Unique Boutique
- January, 2008
- Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice started as an advisory board called Southern Oregon Fundraising Alliance (SOFA) to study how to establish a free-standing hospice house in Ashland.
- July, 2008
- The first fundraiser, “parking lot sale,” was held at the Ashland Elks Lodge. Word of mouth to friends and relatives provided the goods that created a successful sale, netting about $2500 in one VERY HOT July day!!!!
- August, 2008
- Our first project was to create a funding source for the organization by opening a resale shop.
- March, 2009
- Southern Oregon Fundraising Alliance incorporated and filed for non-profit status.
- April, 2009
- The Board held a vote to "Go" or "No Go" to open the resale shop. It was unanimous. "GO!” Even though we only had $6000 in the bank.
- June, 2009
- We hired a manager for the Hospice Unique Boutique.
- June 12, 2009
- GRAND OPENING of Hospice Unique Boutique.
- June, 2010
- The organization celebrated the one-year anniversary of Hospice Unique Boutique and gave away $5000 to the four hospices in the Rogue Valley, Threshold Choir and WinterSpring Center for Bereavement and Loss.
- Fall, 2010
- Nursing students from the OHSU nursing program at SOU created a "Feasibility Study" for a freestanding Hospice house.
- January, 2011
- The organization officially changed its name to Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice with the supporting line: supporting end of life care programs.
- Spring, 2011
- Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice short-term goals focus on creating a virtual resource center website, and educating the community about hospice services. Our long term goal continues to be creation of a freestanding Hospice house.
- June 9, 2011
- We celebrate our second anniversary of Hospice Unique Boutique and award
our second round of gifts of $10,000 to:
- Asante Hospice
- Ashland Hospice
- COHO (Choosing Options/Honoring Options)
- Lovejoy Hospice
- Providence Hospice
- Winterspring Center for Grief and Bereavement
Carolyn Johnson, Volunteer Executive Director
Sarah Seybold, President
Bruce Johnson, M.D., Secretary
Jan Lofthouse, Treasurer
Trudy Duncan, Volunteer Coordinator
Christine Eberhardt, Accountant
Nancy James, Shop Committee
Jeanne Denning, Advancement Committee
Friends of Hospice
P.O. Box 1182
Ashland, Oregon 97520
Boutique (HUB) website
HUB Calendar of
Watch Hospice Videos
Thank You for Donating
Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice raises funds to supplement regional end-of-life
Click the button below to donate to SOFOH through the secure server at PayPal.
Donate by mail:
out and print a Donation Form (pdf)
and mail it with your check.
Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice gifts include:
- Providing educational material to patients and families,
as well as emergency assistance for heating, electricity and transportation
- Funding a day trip as respite care for overwhelmed family
members of a dying patient.
- Supplying respite caregivers for a family exhausted from
- Reimbursing harpists providing music therapy, and massage
therapists providing therapeutic touch for hospice patients.
- Offering bereavement support groups and training for volunteer