Hospice is customarily provided during the last few months of a person’s
life wherever the patient lives (personal residence; retirement home, assisted
living facility or foster home,) and provided when the patient’s goals
of care focus on comfort rather than cure. Hospice cares for both the patient
and family. Hospice patients have either an advanced illness or life limiting
condition and are in declining health. A holistic approach to care, hospice
patients and their families receive support from a nurse, social worker,
doctor, chaplain and volunteers to provide symptom management and comfort
The Goals of Hospice Care
- To focus on the needs of both the patient and the family to improve
quality of life.
- To include care from a team including a physician, nurse, social worker,
chaplain, nursing assistant, pharmacist, trained volunteers, and necessary
- To treat the whole person, not just the disease.
- To attend to practical needs such as transportation and assistance
with bathing in addition to emotional and spiritual needs such as caregiver
stress, grief, and fear of dying.
Medicare Certified Hospice Services
- Hospice medical director guidance
- Registered nurse visits with 24 hour availability
- Medical social work
- Hospice aides to assist with personal care
- Home medical equipment and supplies
- Pharmaceuticals required for comfort care
- Rehabilitation services
- Respite services
- Family/caregiver support; bereavement counseling
- Volunteer support
Examples of Hospice Referrals
- With a life limiting prognosis, such as cancer or an end-stage chronic
- Who, along with his or her family, is seeking comfort care and does
not desire aggressive treatment for a life limiting diagnosis.
- Who needs assistance with symptom management from skilled clinicians.
- Wishing to receive care and remain in a home setting of their choice.
- Who, along with family, can benefit from the support of a end of life
care trained interdisciplinary team.
Friends of Hospice
P.O. Box 1182
Ashland, Oregon 97520
Boutique (HUB) website
HUB Calendar of
Watch Hospice Videos
Thank You for Donating
Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice raises funds to supplement regional end-of-life
Click the button below to donate to SOFOH through the secure server at PayPal.
Donate by mail:
out and print a Donation Form (pdf)
and mail it with your check.
Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice gifts include:
- Providing educational material to patients and families,
as well as emergency assistance for heating, electricity and transportation
- Funding a day trip as respite care for overwhelmed family
members of a dying patient.
- Supplying respite caregivers for a family exhausted from
- Reimbursing harpists providing music therapy, and massage
therapists providing therapeutic touch for hospice patients.
- Offering bereavement support groups and training for volunteer